10/16/2008

Depression

Depression sucks. For a reason I cannot explain I've always been able to attract a large number of folk that are down in the dumps. The rule of attraction would say that since I attract them sad folk then I too should be depressed? Yet that doesn't hold true since those same depressed folk seek entertainment from me, and for me to lift their spirits. I try to do so the best I can because I enjoy helping people and making them smile. I like to believe folk confide in me because they know I too have had my lows and I'm not afraid to talk about them.

I usually grab myself by the bootstraps, brush myself off, and try to redirect those negative thoughts to something positive: The little things in life that make me happy, things like sushi, kissing my lover, laughing with friends, hugs, thinking of my sister and brother, making fun of my mother, listening to one of my dad's dumb jokes, finishing a drawing, doing a photoshoot, performing as Amnesia, sunsets, fart jokes, etc.

If all that fails I think of Joseph's Campbell's words from The Power of Myth

Moyers: Have you ever had sympathy for the man who has no invisible means of support?

Campbell: Who has no invisible means? Yes, he is the one that evokes compassion, the poor chap. To see him stumbling around when all the waters of life are right there really evokes one’s pity.

Moyers: The waters of eternal life are right there? Where?

Campbell: Wherever you are—if you are following your bliss, you are enjoying that refreshment, that life within you, all the time.

Labels: ,