7/24/2008

Books, Check'em Out!

This week I finished reading two books.
"The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" is a helpful tool you can use to stop smoking for good. It's a no nonsense book that focuses on the real behavior of a smoker. It really helped me come to terms with my own nicotine addiction. It's a brainwashing book, kinda like hypnosis. It makes you think like a nonsmoker. I'm in the middle of fighting the nicotine addiction but I'm more confident than ever that this time I will succeed...especially since a pack of smokes now costs more than $8 here in New York City.
I have the former editor of NEXT Magazine to thank for letting me borrow his copy of the book. This is not the first time Greg's saved my life.

The second book I finished reading is one that I think everyone who knows of a gay man should read. "The Velvet Rage: Overcoming the Pain of Growing Up Gay in a Straight Man's World" is a look at the cause of gay men's behavior and how to overcome the stereotypical bad gay behavior and focus on the good gay behavior. The most fascinating thing about the book is that some of the "gay" behavior that straight people dislike is actually in part caused by the way straight people raise little boys. Although I don't fully agree with the author on all issues I find that it is a necessary read for any gay man whose ever found himself disillusioned with gay culture or the straight world that brought them up as well as young gays that need direction.
I have my boyfriend to thank for letting me borrow his copy of the book. He couldn't have come into my life at a better time. Love you babe.


Labels: